Best Practices - Kettle Sours/Lactobacillus
Lactobacillus for kettle souring (quick souring)
We can supply any of the supply the following for kettle/quick souring:
- Lactobacillus Blend (30-40 ºC)
- Lactobacillus Blend 2.0 (30-40 ºC)
- Lactobacillus brevis (30-40 ºC)
- Lactobacillus plantarum (30-40 ºC)
- Lactobacillus delbrueckii (30-40 ºC)
Pitch Rate and Temperature
We target sufficient Lacto culture to sour a batch of wort to pH 3.5 or lower within 24h at 37ºC.
Research is ongoing to properly determine temperature optimums for each strain, but in general, the high 30ºC range seems to work best for most strains.
See here for our Kettle Souring SOP:
Kettle/Quick Souring with Lactobacillus Guide (revised 2023 02 21)